As society becomes more data and information-driven and technology savvy, the number of people relying on information provided online continues to increase. This, in turn, demands quality and reliable information to be provided by numerous websites and search engines on the Internet. The choice of technology and techniques used to build a website and optimize its contents through SEO greatly impact how well online users respond and direct the flow of internet traffic.
Because of this, industries and expertise such as Python web development, mobile app development, SEO and web development are highly sought after. The market for numerous web development company, web developers and SEO experts have hugely benefitted from this increase in demand.
What is SEO?
Search engines, such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo show results based on relevance to the search parameters. Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the process where the website content is enhanced to achieve better search engine results ranking.
There are a number of factors that impact the ranking of a website:
- Page Speed
- Content Quality
- Backlink Profile
- Click through Rate (CTR)
- User Bounce Rate
- Media Usage
- Page Security
All these factors feed into the overall user experience of a website, which is crafted during the web design and development.
Web Design and Web Development
93% of the overall online user experience starts with the use of a search engine. User experience is conceptualized in the design stage of web development and realized during the development of a website. Both phases of development are essential in building a great user experience.
Web design focuses on how to design a website; conceptualizing the overall web design, web page design, and user experience. Web designers ensure that the look-and-feel and user experience are according to the needs of the target audience and showcases the content in the best way possible.
Web development, on the other hand, is where the concept that web designers have created are built into websites. Web developers use the concept as a guide in putting together the different elements that make up the website; such as layout, multimedia, navigation, improving website speed, and others.
Ways to Improve SEO
The quality of the website and its user experience greatly depends on how web design and web development work together with SEO experts. There are ways for experts in web developer and SEO expert to enhance a website.
1. Enhance User Experience
User experience comprises user interface design, website usability, functionality, and branding. What attracts and engages the attention of online users is how well they can use the website and process the information it has. If people find your website interesting, informative, easy to use, and interactive, they will have more reason to stay, explore, and eventually come back.
- Prioritize creating user-centric content and design.
Because users are what drives online traffic, content and structure must follow their needs and convenience. Results from surveys, feedback mechanism, and market studies can help web designer conceptualize website designs that address the needs of the consumer market. Close collaboration between web designers and web developers, and the right tools, ensure that the concepts are realized in the actual website.
- Enhance and optimize the most
frequently visited and relevant pages. According to HubSpot, the 4 most important and
frequently visited pages in a website are:
- Home Page
- About Page
- Contact Us Page
Because these pages are the most frequently visited, page speed, content, and responsiveness should be optimized to give the best possible user experience.
- Boost your customer service with helpful tools. Not only should a website be streamlined, but also be responsive and utilizes tools for consumer engagement. Tools like site guides, customer feedback mechanisms, surveys, and notification systems help online consumers use a website, engage users, and collect data that can be used for future improvements to the website.
- Streamline the flow of information in the page content. Establish a logical flow to the information and navigation on the website. This helps users focus better on the concepts relevant to them. Streamlined navigation ensures that users are able to easily navigate through the website, staying longer and reading through more content.
- Enhance page content with multimedia. When chosen or created right, media such as videos, photos, or infographics boosts the content of a page. Instead of a text-heavy page, these media further emphasizes the keywords, relevant topics, and information that is highlighted for the website. This also adds another layer of customer engagement and experience.
Some of the tools that web developers can use are Adobe Experience Design, Sketch, Azure, and the extensive array of web development tools.
2. Showcase Quality Content
Content should be able to provide sufficient information to address a particular need or question that users may have. Content should also be formatted in a way that is easy to understand and followed by users. The keywords and backlinks in the content should be incorporated organically, as a valuable part of the content.
- Identify a specific topic for your web content. Meandering content only confuses readers and decreases their interest. Readers are able to focus better on content with a singular or collective message or action that you want to put across.
- Write the way you speak. If readers take as much time trying to understand the words or logic of an article or a post as the time it takes for them to finish reading the content, their interest on the content or website will wane so much faster. Make content easy to read and understand.
- Incorporate keywords organically into the website content. If keywords do not mesh with the content, they tend to stick out like a sore thumb. With Google optimizing its search engine to recognize SEO violations, such as keyword stuffing, content nowadays need to be smart in using keywords. Making keywords part of the narrative is one of the best ways to avoid violations and achieve more readable content.
- Be strategic in the use and placement of keywords. It is best practice to use keywords on parts of the content that you want to highlight. Such as section headers, call to action, titles, subtitles, quotes and other relevant areas of your content. This attracts the attention of the readers to both the highlighted section and the keywords used.
- Regularly provide content. Once you start publishing content, proceed to create more. Not only will you improve your site with more content to offer users, but you could build internal links in your content to other posts on your website. This boosts both your backlinking and content portfolio.
For content optimization, tools such as SEObility, Agency Analytics, and Lipperhey can help. Grammarly and Hemingway Editor are some of the writing assistance tools that content developers can use.
3. Apply Strategic Linking and Backlinking
The quality of links used on a website indicates the trustworthiness and reliability of a website. Links should add value to the content and a way for users to better explore the topic. It is best to incorporate links strategically and organically to the content.
- Incorporate backlinks naturally to the content. The use of backlinks is another way to increase traffic throughout your website. This is by redirecting users to other contents in your site.
- Ensure optimized website navigation and redirect chains. It is best practice to ensure that navigation to either external or internal pages is fast and convenient for the users. This ensures that users experience minimal slow page load, broken links, and other link errors.
- Ensure external links are relevant and are related to the content. Links used in the web content, both internal and external, need to be relevant to the content and the words or phrases they are anchored to.
Toos such as OutreachPlus, Detailed, and IntchBox help with link building strategies and research. While Majestic, Ahrefs, Linkody, and Linkbird provides tools and features for analyzing the backlinks on your content.
4. Ensure Security
With the widespread cases of hacking and data breaches of prominent and popular sites and agencies, such as the Facebook data breach in 2018, online security is now a major concern for users. It is essential that a website has a secure environment, connection, and data exchange with its users.
- Ensure the software used on the website are updated regularly. Software updates tend to be cumbersome at times. However, updates ensure that changes to the software, be it UI, process, navigation, or security, are incorporated into the software that is being used. For servers, CMS, forums, and other platforms that collect, store, and process user information, it is essential that software updates are regularly done to ensure data security is up to date.
- Implement validation on both website and server access. User login information and server access information validation protects both user data information and your website from unwanted access.
- Strengthen the use of username and passwords. Similar to validation, strengthening user access methods such as the use of username and passwords, adds to the security of the data that websites collect and process. Tools such as 2-step verification and codes are great examples of strengthening user access.
- Always use HTTPS for websites with information transfer between user and server.
- Implement access control limitations on your website and data. Access control limits define the places and tools of the website that users can access. Aside from setting boundaries to user access, access control limits also help streamline traffic across your website.
- Incorporate web security tools for additional security measures. There are tools such as SiteLock and OpenVAS that can be added to the security features or tools of the website. These tools screen for possible intrusions, apply access limits, and other similar functions.
5. Develop for Local Audience
There benefits to catering to the local market and consumer audience. This strategy becomes a better opportunity for the business to improve its exposure and searchability. 82% of mobile users prioritize ”near me” searches when shopping. Websites providing sufficient information for locales are preferred by the consumer market.
The same principles and methods of improving SEO and developing great websites apply. The difference is that the website and its contents are now geared towards the local consumer market.